Sunday, September 18, 2011

Half Marathon Training - Why am I doing this? v.03

There are some days that I just don't want to get up and run, but because I'm signed up for something I grudgingly get out of bed and lace up my shoes anyway.  There were a couple of days like that this week, and ironically I've had my best runs since I started training for my second Half Marathon.  This week I had a good track workout and was a little bit worried about how my legs were going to feel for the next few days.  I did feel a little tight after the track workout, but nothing I couldn't work through or just ignore.

Wednesday and Thursday were nice 4 mile runs with a 6 mile run on Friday.  The pace on Friday wasn't quite what I wished it would be, but I felt pretty good about it.  This morning's long run was awesome.  I left a little bit later than I wanted because of a lingering headache, but I went anyway at about 6:30am.  The first mile and a half were a little bit stiff, but after that I started to loosen up and it got a little easier.  I wanted to keep my pace around 10:30 per mile, but wasn't sure I'd be able to maintain it for 8 miles.  It was an incredibly pleasant surprise to see that not only could I keep that pace, but even drop the pace for the last 2 miles.  Legs are a little stiff again, but tomorrow is a rest day so I will be doing a lot of yoga and using the foam roller to get me ready for this week's track workout and consecutive runs.  Today is one of the first days that I feel like I'll be ready for the Half Marathon.  I don't know that I'll be able to finish in 2 hours, but I have no doubt that my PR for this distance will be huge.

No comments:

Post a Comment